Sunday, December 12, 2010
And The Journey Begins
Though it's been an issue for a long time it's really only in the last couple of years that the public outcry against the collapse and lack of care for Boston's parks has become noticed. From newspaper clippings to magazine articles, to even the growth of the Emerald Necklace conservancy, the issue of what to do about Boston's parks has certainly become a larger one. Personally I found the subject fascinating, being a long time fan of green space, public parks, and tranquil areas among the hurried mess that is most of the urban jungle. So here, at the start of this expedition to learn more about the Emerald Necklace and the projects being done to protect it, I find myself only wondering about general questions, such as, "What's being done to promote conservancy?" Or, "How much of an impact are the private conservation groups having in swaying public opinion. However, I also think a lot about whether or not the Olmsted foundation is helping at all to preserve the parks? As I start researching, these are certainly the questions im going to be focusing in on. Mostly what I'm concerned about at this point is not only what's being done to help these parks, but why until recently there was nothing official that was being done. I know that recently a large bill has been passed by the MA state legislature to help preserve these parks, but what I'm wondering is why it took so long to get there. I mean i remember only 2 or 3 years ago walking through a few of the parks and being shocked at how out of repair they were. Even a study I read recently said all of the structure done in Franklin Park has essentially be allowed to be vandalized to destruction. It's both shocking, and fascinating. So I think the first steps for me will be looking into the creation and early history of the parks, and in that, looking into the life of Frederick Law Olmsted, and the efforts done to conserve public area in the years during and after his death, in order to better understand how this issue became one in the first place.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You might also want to find out more about public space and it's value and importance. Why do we need it? In an age of tough budget cuts, should we really be paying to cut the lawns and trim the trees in these parks? How can we justify it?
ReplyDeleteOlmsted had specific ideas about the reasons for parks and public spaces; see what you think of his ideas. And then think about how they apply or don't apply today. You'll find out a lot about public spaces as you get into the reading. I'm eager to see what you uncover.
Assignment complete = 15/15