Friday, December 17, 2010
The Seeds of a Beginning
My journey into discovering the truth behind the creation and later problems of the Emerald Necklace began with starting the book "A Clearing in the Distance: Frederick Law Oldsted and America in the 19th Century." As of now, I've read through the first six chapters, and I'm beginning to get a good look at who Olmsted was growing up, and some of the ways he became the famous planner and developer we all remember. Olmsted is, as anyone can tell you, the designer and maker of such urban parks such as Central Park and indeed the Emerald Necklace. I figured a good way to take my first steps would be to better understand his life and see how the parks came into being, and in addition especially how Olmsted had a vision of the parks and how that vision was later changed by things such as budgetary restrictions, neglect, and whatever else caused the severe deterioration in the parks around Boston. Now, while I have no doubt in my mind that this book will eventually give me the answers I need, I still find the very beginning of this book both a bit boring and slow as well as not particularly revlavent to the topic of the Emerald Necklace. At this point I suppose the only thing to do is to wait for things to become more interesting, as I'm sure they will. Thankfully, the information, while a bit boring, is still good to know. Reading these backgrounds shows some Neckace. Now, while there is no doubt in my mind that this book will not be able t answer all fo the qestions I have with regards to the Emerald Neckalce and Franklin Law Olmsted, I do think it'll be able to give me a background on him and his projects while also providing a very interesting read into his life, even if the book is written a bit slow. The good news is, because I believe this I'm willing to read past the first 50 pages of this book, and see what kind of surprises Wiltold Rybencynski has in store for me as I turn the pages of this fantastic biography of Franklin's life, work, and eventual death.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Gabe: At this point, there's no reason to get bogged down in facts that don't captivate you. You can go back and get facts later, if they seem important. I urge you to rush to the Rybencynski book or to skip to the later chapters of this first book and find out about things that are more interesting to you. No need to be bored! Your goal at this point is not to become the leading expert on FLO but, instead, to figuring out what you would like to know about. Feel free to skim and skip and chuck the first book (figuratively) if it's not getting you excited about your project.
ReplyDeleteAssignment complete = 15/15